Causes Of Hip Pain In Women
When a female patient comes to Dr. Siegrist complaining of hip pain, she considers the patient’s age, build, and activity level. If the patient is a thin 20-year-old runner or a heavy, sedentary 80-year-old grandmother, the possibilities at the top of my list will be different, she says.
Among the most common causes of hip pain in women are:
1. Arthritis Chronic hip pain in women is often due to arthritis, particularly osteoarthritis, the wear-and-tear kind that affects many people as they age. The ball-and-socket joint starts to wear out, Siegrist says. Arthritis pain is often felt in the front of your thigh or in the groin, because of stiffness or swelling in the joint.
2. Hip fractures Hip fractures are common in older women, especially those with osteoporosis . Symptoms of a hip fracture include pain when you straighten, lift, or stand on your leg. Also, the toes on your injured side will appear to turn out, a sign that can aid your doctors preliminary diagnosis.
How Is Hip Pain Treated
The treatment might include:
- advice about weight loss and exercise
- stretching, strengthening exercises or resistance training
- water exercise including swimming
Your doctor may suggest you consult an orthopaedic surgeon if surgery or other specialist treatment is needed. You might find pain relief with home treatments such as rest, heat or ice, massage or gentle exercises for hip pain.
What Organs Are Located Above Or Near The Left Hip
Your lower left abdomen is sometimes referred to as the left lower quadrant . The left lower quadrant is the area on your left side between your belly button and your pelvis.
Dr. Jacqueline Payne on Patient.info says that organs near or above the left hip that can cause pain include the following:1
- Part of your large bowel. Digestive issues can cause inflammation or infections that can affect the area just above your left hip bone.
- Your left kidney. Although located in your left upper quadrant above the hip, stones in your left kidney can cause referred left-sided hip pain.
- The left ovary and fallopian tube. Part of a womens reproductive system is in the LLQ. Cysts or polyps in the left ovary can be a source of pain on the left side above the hip bone and back.
You May Like: Pelvic Pain 10 Years After Hysterectomy
Kidney Infection Or Kidney Stones
Although your kidneys are located in your middle back, a kidney infection or kidney stones can cause pain and agony in the area just above your left hip and groin.
Doctors from Southern Cross say that kidney stones can cause pain ranging from mild twinges to excruciating debilitating pain. The most common location to feel the symptoms of a kidney stone is pain just below the ribs and in the hip bone. The pain may start from your middle back and travel right down to your groin.16
Kidney stones or infections can also cause symptoms like:
Try consuming diluted apple cider vinegar regularly to help dissolve kidney stones and prevent them from causing severe pain above your left or right hip bone.
The Diagnosis: Is It Your Hip
When you tell your doctor your hip hurts, the first thing she should do is confirm that your hip is actually the problem. Women might say they have hip pain, but what they may mean is that they have pain in the side of the upper thigh or upper buttock, or they may be experiencing lower back pain, says Stephanie E. Siegrist, MD, an orthopedic surgeon in Rochester, New York, and a spokeswoman for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Hip pain is often felt in the groin or on the outside of the hip directly over where the hip joint is located.
Recommended Reading: Back Pain Stem Cell Therapy
How Is Trochanteric Bursitis Treated
Treatment goals include reducing pain and inflammation , preserving mobility, and preventing disability and recurrence.
Treatment recommendations may include a combination of rest, splints, heat and cold application. More advanced treatment options include:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, such as ibuprofen or naproxen.
- Corticosteroid injections given by your healthcare provider. Injections work quickly to decrease the inflammation and pain.
- Physical therapy that includes range of motion exercises and splinting. This can be very beneficial.
- Surgery, when other treatments are not effective.
Tests For Groin And Hip Pain
At the appointment with your doctor, they will probably:
- feel your abdomen, leg, or hip to determine the exact location of your pain
- move your leg or hip in various positions
- test your strength by having you resist as they try to move your leg
Your doctor may order imaging tests to get further information. These might include:
- X-ray. Fractures or worn-down cartilage can be seen with X-rays.
- MRI.Magnetic resonance imaging shows soft tissue injuries, such as ligament, muscle, or tendon tears.
- Ultrasound.Ultrasound uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of your bodys organs, such as your ovaries. There is also a therapeutic form of ultrasound that is used to increase blood flow, relax muscles, and speed healing.
Recommended Reading: Mri For Back Pain Cost
Common Causes Of Hip Pain In Women And How To Find Relief
When trying to analyse the cause of hip pain in women, it is important to think about any systems that could potentially be contributing to that pain. For example, the pain felt over the front of the hip, in the groin area, could be attributed to a gynaecological cause , an abdominal cause or a joint problem. Pain over the side of the hip and in the buttock area is more likely to be caused by a problem within the hip joint. However, all of these may also be caused by referred pain from a problem in the knee or lower back.
This article will focus more on the direct causes of hip pain caused by problems in and around the hip joint itself, and offer 5 top tips to help relieve hip pain caused by common joint problems. If you have any concerns that your hip pain may be caused by something other than the joint directly, you should seek advice from your GP.
Musculoskeletal pain is a significant contributor to ill health in the UK, with 25% of all GP consultations relating to joint and muscle pain. Of this, hip pain is a major contributor, appearing in the top three most commonly reported MSK problems.
How Is A Hip Pointer Treated
Teens with a hip pointer need to rest the area. They should avoid any activities that make the pain worse or could cause another hit to the area. This may mean taking a break from sports.
Your health care provider also may recommend that you:
- Use crutches to take weight off the hip.
- Put ice or a cold pack on the hip every 12 hours for 15 minutes at a time.
- Wrap an elastic bandage around the waist/hip area for support and comfort.
- Raise the hips on a pillow when lying down to help with pain and swelling.
- Go for physical therapy or do a home exercise program to help with stretching and strengthening of the area.
- Take medicine for pain such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen . Follow the directions that come with the medicine on how much to take and how often.
Don’t Miss: Pancreatic Cancer Pain Worse At Night
Causes For Pain Near Hip Bone Right Side In Female
Pain is the most neglected complaint in females. They considered it to be a part and parcel of their daily routine.Pain can be very distressing and causes significant discomfort. Pain near hip bone can be transient, but treatment should be sought if it persists for a long time and obstructs daily routine.
When a person complains of pain near the right hip, it is not just limited to a muscular cause, there are some important organs located near the right hip which can cause pain and discomfort. Irrespective of the location, cause of pain should be investigated into and appropriate treatment should be taken.
What Is Femoroacetabular Impingement
Femoroacetabular impingement , or hip impingement, is a condition where the ball of your thigh bone cant move normally in your hip socket. This happens when there is too much bone around the ball or when the socket is angled slightly backward. This causes the femur to bump into or pinch the rim of the socket.
When the ball of your femur hits the rim of the hip socket, it can damage the cartilage and labrum in the joint. These are tissues that cushion the bones in your hip socket. Because of this damage, you may feel pain as the tissues start to get small tears and degenerate. These tears can lead to osteoarthritis over time.
Also Check: Yeast Infection Lower Back Pain And Abdominal Pain
What Is The Hip
The hip is the area on each side of the pelvis. The pelvis bone is made up of 3 sections:
Ilium. The broad, flaring portion of the pelvis.
Pubis. The lower, rear part of the pelvis.
Ischium. One of the bones that helps form the hip.
The hip joint is a ball-and-socket joint that allows motion and gives stability needed to bear body weight.
The socket area is inside the pelvis. The ball part of this joint is the top of the thighbone . It joins with the acetabulum to form the hip joint.
The hip is one of the most stable joints in the body. But because it bears your body weight, it is more likely to develop arthritis because of the extra pressure. Pain in the hip may be caused by injury to muscles, tendons, or the small fluid-filled sacs that cushion and lubricate joints.
Symptoms Of Femoroacetabular Impingement
FAI can develop at any age, but is more common in patients between 2050 years old. Some common symptoms of hip impingement are:
- pain in the front of your hip or groin,
- difficulty walking uphill,
- a dull ache in the groin, or
- catching or popping in your hip.
You could experience these symptoms during activities that involve running, jumping, or twisting, as well as after sitting for long periods of time. If you dont get treatment for this condition, you will continue to feel pain and arthritis and might eventually need a hip replacement.
Read Also: Pain In Lungs And Chest
Causes Of Left Side Hip Pain
Left side pain near your hip can have a number of causes, and its not always easy for doctors to identify the source of pain. The journal Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases says that knowing exactly what is causing hip joint pain is very complex. Very often, people with pain in their right hip or left hip have to describe their painful symptoms and show how the pain affects them.4
Lets look in more detail at what it can mean if your left hip bone or the area above your left hip is sore and painful.
Types Of Hip Impingement
There are three types of hip impingement:
You May Like: Lower Back Pain After Period
What Tests Are There
X-rays are often the best way of finding out whats wrong with your hip as they show the condition of the bones. They may also show problems in your pelvis which could explain your pain. Theyre not as useful for looking at the soft tissues around the joint.
A CT scan can often be very helpful to work out if the hip joint has an unusual shape. CT scans use x-rays to show sections or slices of the hip, which a computer then puts together to form a 3D image of the hip.
There are conditions where the socket of the hip can be very shallow, and a CT scan can show this.
MRI scans use radio waves to build a picture to show whats happening to the soft tissue, such as the muscles and tendons, inside your hip. Theyre particularly helpful for diagnosing the painful condition avascular necrosis, which reduces the flow of blood to the ends of bone, causing them to collapse .
If your doctor thinks your pain is caused by an infection or rheumatoid arthritis, blood tests can often help.
Treatment For Hip Bursitis
Most hip bursitis gets better with simple lifestyle changes. At Aurora, your doctor will explain these changes and any other treatments that may help. These lifestyle changes and treatments may include:
- Changing activities: By avoiding activities that cause pain, you can give the bursa a chance to recover.
- Hip support: A walking cane, crutches or a hip brace can take some of the pressure off of the hip that hurts.
- Physical therapy: Your physical or occupational therapist and doctor will work together to create a treatment plan thats right for you. Sometimes the best way to relieve the pain of bursitis is by finding new ways to move, strengthening muscles or increasing mobility.
- Injections: In some cases, your doctor may recommend a cortisone injection to relieve pain from bursitis.
- Aspiration: When a bursa is very swollen, aspiration can provide pain relief. If your doctor suspects the bursa is infected, they may order tests on the fluid from the bursa.
- Arthroscopic surgery: Most people recover from bursitis of the hip without surgery. But if other treatments arent successful, your doctor might suggest removing the bursa with surgery. Usually, your surgeon can remove the bursa with minimally invasive arthroscopy, a technique that uses small instruments and tiny incisions. Because this approach involves less damage to your bodys tissues, you can expect a faster recovery, less chance of infection and the best possible range of motion after surgery.
Read Also: Chest Pain On Right Side When Breathing
Can Hip Pain Cause Problems Anywhere Else
You may feel some pain in the buttock, groin, back, thigh or knee.
If you experience these for longer than 6 weeks, you may need to speak to a healthcare professional.
Occasionally, problems felt in your hip can be due to a back problem – even though you don’t feel pain in your back. People with this sort of problem often describe the pain as pins and needles, sharp, hot or burning pain, usually in the leg.
If you have any of these symptoms it would be helpful to read about back problems.
Pain On The Side Of Your Hip Is More Likely From Tendinitis Tight Muscles Or Another Condition
Hip bursitis an inflammation between your thighbone and nearby tendons is commonly diagnosed when patients have pain on the outer side of the hip. However, several other conditions can cause similar pain, and require different treatments. “Doctors often assume that pain on the outer side of the hip is due to bursitis. But 90% of the time, it’s not bursitis,” says Dr. Lauren Elson, a physiatrist with Harvard-affiliated Massachusetts General Hospital.
Recommended Reading: Hip Pain After L4 L5 Surgery
Right Side Pain Above Hip: Symptoms Causes And Effective Treatments
Jenny Hills, Nutritionist and Medical Writer Health
Pain on your right side above your hip may be caused by issues with organs in your lower right abdomen, spine, hip bone, or pelvic area. Aching pains near your right hip can be a source of daily discomfort. The right hip pain can be so severe and intense that it makes walking or moving your body difficult. Sometimes, gnawing pains or dull aches above the hip can feel relentless and it can be challenging to get rid of the hip pain.
Many people who suffer from back pain above the right hip often find that the aching hip pains spread to other parts of the body. For example, if the cause of hip pain is due to a herniated disc or pinched nerve, you might have shooting pains down your right leg. Inflammation in the hip socket could also result in tenderness around the hip area.
Both men and women can suffer from right side pain above the hips and below the ribs. This is because gastrointestinal problems, appendicitis, kidney stones, or an abdominal hernia can cause intense right-sided pain. However, problems with a womans reproductive organs like ovarian cysts or endometriosis can result in female pain in the right hip area.
In this article, you will find out what it means if you frequently suffer from right side pain above the hip. You will learn how to naturally relieve most types of right-sided pain near the hip.
When Should You Seek Medical Advice
Most cases of bursitis improve without any treatment over a few weeks. See your healthcare provider if you have any of the following signs or symptoms:
- You experience pain that interferes with your normal day-to-day activities or have soreness that doesn’t improve despite self-care measures.
- You have recurrence of bursitis.
- You have a fever or the area affected appears red, swollen or warm.
In addition, see your doctor if you have other medical conditions that may increase your risk of an infection, or if you take medications that increase your risk of infection, such as corticosteroids or immunosuppressants.
Recommended Reading: Lower Back Pain And Missed Period Negative Pregnancy Test