A Secret Problem Causing Back Pain When You Bend Backwards
When you bend backwards, the muscles of your low back fire and contract to take the stress.
When your muscles are healthy, your vertebra and disc take on as minimal stress as possible, preventing premature wear-and-tear. Your muscles, vertebra and disc all work at 100%.
When your muscles are glued down by a problem called adhesion, they work at less than theyre normal capacity. If your muscles are working at 75% capacity, where do you think the extra 25% of stress goes?
It could go on other muscles, but in the case of bending backwards, it tends to go on the vertebra and disc, which are now working at 125% capacity .
Discs, just like overworked workers, can only work overtime for so long before it breaks.
Thats why getting rid of the adhesion from your low back muscles is so important.
Treatment For Lower Back Pain
Bending forward and curving your back increases pressure and strain on your back muscles and ligaments. Over time, this can lead to pain and limited mobility.
Some of the steps we need to take in order to treat the lower back pain are:
1) FIX BODY POSTURE
Bad posture while sitting down or standing is the major cause of back problems. Slouching or hunched back can lead to back and joints pain. While bending, we need to maintain a neutral spine alignment while we hinge forward from the hip. This will protect the spine from injury.
Fixing our posture is one of the biggest solutions for treating back problems.
2) USE OF MEDICINES
Pain killers like Morphine or some anti-inflammatory drug such as Ibuprofen, Aspirin can help in relieving pain. However, long-term use of these medicines could be harmful and cause heart problems, kidney failure, and liver damage.
Patients should use these drugs with their doctors prescription.
3) TAKING SOME REST
Lie down for a day and get some rest to ease the discomfort. Yet, lying down for more than a day wont help and make the muscles stiffer, which will increase the pain. So, limited rest is the best option in this case.
4) ICE AND HEAT REMEDY
Ice helps in reducing the swelling and pain that occurs after the injury. Use ice packs on your back for 10 20 minutes. It numbs the sore tissue and helps relieve the pain.
5) LIGHT EXERCISE TO RELIEVE PAIN
6) STRETCH THE BACK AND ABDOMINAL MUSCLES
Lower Back Rotations
Knee to Chest
How To Get Your Adhesion Removed
Wherever you live in the world, go to Integrative Diagnosiss Find a Provider search function. Most ID doctors train with the instructors at least once per month. Ive never been around a group of doctors that trains this much.
Hence, why Im referring you to doctors on the path of mastery.
Below, the founder of ID, Dr. William Brady, discusses adhesion:
If you live within 100 miles of North Jersey, Barefoot Rehab is the only Integrative Diagnosis clinic. Give us a call at 862-205-4847.
How long have you had low back pain when bending backwards? Are you ready to get it fixed? Or are you satisfied living with it?
You May Like: Pain Relief For Wisdom Teeth
Is There Anything Else That Might Help
Back pain can be a frustrating, debilitating condition so we know how important it is for you to relieve pain as quickly as possible. Arnica gel is great for muscle aches, joint pain, sprains, strain and swelling . Try Atrogel, an easy-to-apply, non-greasy arnica gel that will relieve your pain quickly, allowing you to focus on exercises and bending technique to solve your back pain in the long term.
For more severe, long term pain, Devils claw tablets will be useful, as this herb has been used traditionally for many years to reduce aching muscles and joints, and specifically backache.
Different Levels And Types Of Pain
Like with most injuries, pain levels can vary depending on the person and the severity of the trauma. For example, some patients may experience lower back pain when sitting but not standing. On the other hand, some patients may only experience lower middle back pain when sitting. The different types of pain experienced could feel like:
- A sharp pain rather than dull aches: This type of pain could result from a torn ligament or muscle.
- A radiating pain that moves from various parts of the lower back: This pain could originate from nerve compression.
- A numbness or tingling sensation: This feeling will originate specifically in the groin and glutes area.
- Incontinence: The intensity of the lower back pain may affect your ability to control your bladder.
- Sudden leg weakness: The inability to walk is related to nerve damage, usually linked to spinal stenosis.
Many people may experience severe lower back pain when sitting down. It may feel likea constant ache deep within the muscle or a sharp jabbing sensation as if someone is stabbing you with needles. If you suffer from leg weakness, incontinence and numbness in the groin and glutes, you might have cauda equina syndrome and should seek medical attention immediately. For some, the pain might originate from the tailbone, making it painful to sit in specific positions.
When treating your condition, its important to distinguish between acute and chronic back pain.
Don’t Miss: Kailo Pain Patch Where To Buy
Apr Low Back Pain When Bending Backwards
Do you have low back pain when bending backwards?
Maybe you do, but you think its not a big deal:
I dont have to bend backwards, so the pain I have when i bend backwards isnt a big deal.
Or maybe, youve been getting treatment for your low back pain, but its not working?
If youre interested in fixing this, below well discuss a secret problem to all physical pain that isnt often talked about.
When Is It Safe To Start Bending
Early in my physiotherapy career, I would likely have advised to continue moving and walking regularly through the day, avoid prolonged sitting, use a heat pack and avoid forward bending for 1-2 days.
To look at things very simply, I think in this acute situation things can go one of two ways. Gentle repeated flexion may aggravate the pain or it may actually relieve it when performed in supported and less threatening positions.
Here are a couple of exercises to try day 1-2:
Read Also: Root Canal Pain After 3 Days
Ways To Relieve And Prevent Back Pain From Sitting Or Bending Down
Before going to the doctor, here are several quick and easy methods you can try to improve lower back pain when pressure is applied.
- Over-the-counter medication: The quickest way to alleviate pain is over-the-counter medicine, such as acetaminophen and ibuprofen. Be sure to follow the directions on the bottle, and dont exceed the recommended dosage.
- Hot and cold patches: Hot and cold patches help fight the pain at the source. If the pain results from an overextended muscle or joint, the combination of hot and cold relaxes and reduces inflammation in the muscle.
- Exercise: Exercise is an effective way to fortify the muscles that control the lower back. A doctor can recommend specific exercises for your pain.
- Products that alter posture: Standing desks and ergonomic chairs are perfect for helping you manage your posture at work. Inversion tables are a great way to decompress the spine. They have been proven to provide 100% decompression of the spine when inverted at a 60-degree angle. Meanwhile, foam rollers can be used to massage out any knots or pains in the back from sitting for too long. Massage chairs are also great at working on the afflicted area of the back to relieve the pain.
If none of these methods help, you can also try seeking professional, non-extreme medical assistance from professionals such as:
- Massage therapists
Reason A: Sacral Tumors
Sacrum is the lower part of the spine. While rare, cancer ortumors in this area can cause painwhile a person tries to stand up or sit down. The most common type of tumorthat affects the sacrum is sacral chondrosarcoma. Because the symptoms of thiscondition are typically vague, individuals face delayed diagnosis. If the tumorssize increases, loss of bladder and bowel functions, urinary tract infections,or sciatica may occur.
You May Like: Pain In Knee When Straightened
Lower Back Pain When Sitting
When youre sitting on a chair or your couch, you can also experience back pain.
Problems with the multifidus muscles cause this pain in your back.
Because when you never use them, they become exhausted very quickly.
And when youre sitting, they have to work for a long time.
When they cant do this, they will get sore, which results in pain.
It can also result in back pain when standing.
Why Cant I Bend Over Like I Used To Be Able To
The reason our spines are flexible is because our vertebrae the individual bones that make up our spine are connected by semi-soft and flexible cartilage. This cartilage keeps the bones together but allows them to bend and twist. We call this cartilage the discs. You might think of these discs like thick, sticky rubber bands: they can stretch and twist to allow our vertebrae to move, but they then regain their original shape.
As we age, the discs in our spine to break down. When a disc gets thinner or smaller, it can mean that the vertebrae on either side of the disc are no longer protected from each other. When the bones come in contact with one another, they cant move further, meaning that it makes it difficult or even impossible to bend past that point. In other cases, injured discs may slip out of place. As we bend, the bones may then put pressure on nerves, causing pain and limiting movement.
Read Also: Otc Pain Medicine For Dogs
Lower Back Pain When Bending Exercise : Training Your Multifidus Muscle
The third exercise is designed to increase the endurance and reaction time of your multifidus muscle.
These muscles are essential in preventing back pain and throwing out your back, as I told you before. Theyll keep your back stable when bending forward, so nothing happens.
But when you have poor posture or keep your back extended, these muscles become lazy and weak. Thats why they react too late or get sore very quickly when youre standing or moving.
So increasing the reaction time and endurance will solve a lot of problems:
- Back pain when standing
- Back pain when bending forward
- Back pain when walking
It shows that this exercise is essential.
And here is how to train it:
- Lay down on your back
- Bend your knees and place your hands on your chest
- Lift your pelvis and hold this position for 10 seconds
- Repeat this three times and two times a day
- You can increase the difficulty by maintaining the position longer or by extending one leg
You can see how to perform the exercise in this video.
When the endurance increases, you will notice that the back pain when standing and sleeping reduces. Also, bending forward will become easier.
Now we have one final exercise left to increase the strength of the big back muscles.
What Can I Do About It
You should really consult your GP or physiotherapist in the case of back pain, as they will be able to identify the underlying cause. There are, however, some things you can do to relieve back pain once you know its cause.
- Learn how to bend properly. It may seem silly but there are good and bad ways of bending. Many people bend by keeping their legs relatively straight and bending over at the pelvis and waist. This puts strain and pressure on your back. Instead, bend your knees to lower your whole body down into a squat position, and keep your back straight. This is especially important when lifting heavy objects as it allows the muscles in your legs to help lift, not just the muscles in your back.
- Strengthen and stretch the muscles in your back and pelvis to give you better support and relieve stiffness. There are many simple exercises that can help with this, like squats or planks. Read our article on exercises for back pain for more information.
- Try yoga. There are loads of yoga classes specifically tailored to different needs and conditions, and one of the most common is back pain. There are loads of videos on YouTube have a look at this one for a good example.
Recommended Reading: Orthopedic Doctor For Knee Pain
Data Processing And Statistical Analysis
A customized MATLAB program was used for all data processing and analysis. Three consecutive movement cycles were selected from the raw data gathered from the 10 movement cycles performed at each of the 5 speed levels. The angular displacement of the lumbar spine and hip joint in the sagittal plane was analyzed. The angular velocity and acceleration of the lumbar spine and hip joint were determined using a 5-point differentiation formula for each of the 5 speed levels examined .
Treatment & Management Of Back Pain When Bending Forward
Depending on the cause of back pain while bending forward, the treatment or management would vary. The various modes of back pain treatment include:
- Non-invasive Treatments for Back Pain when Bending Forward: These methods include-
- Medications: Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like Tylenol, Motrin antidepressants like Elavil and Antiepileptic analgesics such as Neurontin can help relieve pain in the back.
- Manual Therapy: These include massage, spa, chiropractic therapy, exercise and physical therapy. Manual therapy can be quite effective in getting rid of back pain when bending forward.
Recommended Reading: Lower Back Pain And Missed Period Negative Pregnancy Test
Your Mechanic Doesnt Just Know About Engines
When you bring your busted up car to the mechanic, you trust that he has an understanding about all of the parts.
Hes going to fix what needs to be fixed. Hes not going to just put a big band-aid on the side of your door and say:
Heres your car back. Thatll be $500.
Your mechanic doesnt just know about engines. He knows about the tires, the cars frame, the computer system connecting the parts, and all of the other components.
If your mechanic only knew about one part, you obviously wouldnt bring your car to him.
But we bring our bodies to mechanics or doctors/therapists who only do ONE thing all of the time.
If that ONE thing, that one treatment, isnt working for you, great! Keep doing it.
But if its not, chances are that some part or piece is being neglected.
Overly simplied, your low back is made up of:
What does each part do?
One of the biggest reasons why someone is in pain for months to years, without relief from any treatment, is:
Youre trying to fix the wrong parts, stemming from being diagnosed incorrectly.
Evidence of the wrong diagnosis is when youve been getting treated for more than 5-10 treatments without any significant relief.
How Is Lumbar Strain Diagnosed
In addition to a complete medical history and physical exam, diagnosing low back pain may include the following. However, specialized tests aren’t often required.
- X-ray. A diagnostic test that produces images of internal tissues, bones, and organs onto film.
- CT scan. This is an imaging test that uses X-rays and a computer to make detailed images of the body. It shows details of the bones, muscles, fat, and organs.
- MRI. This test uses a combination of large magnets, radiofrequencies, and a computer to make detailed images of organs and structures in the body.
- Radionuclide bone scan. A nuclear imaging technique that uses a very small amount of radioactive material, which is injected into your blood to be detected by a scanner. This test shows blood flow to the bone and cell activity in the bone.
- Electromyogram . A test to evaluate nerve and muscle function.
Also Check: Le Pain Quotidien Nyc Locations
Lower Back Pain When Standing
When youre standing, these multifidus muscles also have to work to keep your back stable.
When youre standing, youre always wobbling forward and backward.
When your standing with your back muscles contracted, this will result in pain very quickly.
That usually happens when keeping your back overextended. It occurs mainly in a very flexible woman. They tend to extend their knees and hang forward.
What happens is that your back is extended completely, causing compression of your vertebrae. It also switches off the stabilizing muscles in your back.
It often results in back pain and can also be a cause of neck pain and headaches.
When Does It Hurt
Most patients note a change of pain symptoms with a change in body position. For example, in disk-related back pain, symptoms are worse when the patient sits or stands for extended periods of time. Coughing or sneezing may aggravate symptoms related to a disk herniation that is impinging on nerve roots, while lying flat alleviates the pain. Forward flexion of the back may open up narrowed spinal-canal foraminal spaces in patients with lumbar spinal stenosis and improve their pain symptoms. These patients describe pain relief when leaning forward to push a shopping cart . In contrast, standing, which requires either a neutral stance or slight extension of the back, obliterates these foraminal spaces and often aggravates the pain.
You May Like: Middle Back Pain After Car Accident